SC - Fwd: JOKE ALERT!! *smile*

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Tue Jun 13 05:37:39 PDT 2000

Jenne Heise wrote:

> I have a question that has bugged me for a while.
> In the SCA, we concentrate on re-creating specific document period
> recipes, but don't really pay much attention to period _menus_. Why is
> that?

I think we've gotten into the habit of deviating from period menus
because they tend to represent more courses and/or dishes than many
cooks are prepared to handle, and possibly out of some unconscious nod
to a perceived "modern palate" or sensibility. Some people still won't
eat a sweet dish in the middle of a meal; to them it is not an entremet
but a dessert.

We also tend to telescope our feasts into the rather narrow modern
concept of a mealtime. We rarely do an all-day feast with four hours of
fighting between courses, and many people, though in garb and in other
ways professing to be in persona, balk at the idea of spending more than
a couple of hours in a feast hall when there are meetings, official and
unofficial politicking, and flirting to be done.

What we seem to tend to do is more like Feast Highlights, Film at 11.
Not that we couldn't make a better attempt at a real period feast and
menu structure, but we'd probably have to build an event around it,
rather than simply providing a fancy meal for people at one of our events.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com