SC - Re: Help-Scottish recipes

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 13 10:35:30 PDT 2000

Try Lady Castlehill's Receipt Book (Moledinar Press, Glasgow)

Try also Mrs. McClintock's Receipt Book, (University of Edinborough),
previously mentioned by others.

Both are from the 1700s. There are no Scottish manuscripts existing in our
period of study with
recipes unless they are family recipe manusipts heretofore undiscovered
or kept private on purpose. The two above both claim
to be the earlist Scottish recipe collections. McClintock is highly
reccomended and fairly much like Hannah Glasse (McClintock either remarried
and
republished, or else someone else later pirated her work under another
name).It is an exact reproduction of the original, and the editor has added
a really handy table for calculation Scottish to English to Modern
measurements.

Lady Castlehill was of English descent.
The book is a coffee table book. The punctuation was changed and someone
re-calligraphed it. It s still a valuable resource, though, and hase some
good brewing and cheesemaking recipes in it. It is a partial recount of the
original MS (in a
museum now).

Sorry I don't have these on hand to give more particulars. I'm much smarter
at home with my sources surrounding me ;).

Cheers

Aoife