SC -poultry art, was 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation

KallipygosRed@aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 11:44:14 PDT 2000

> 1) period menus are often HUGE containing innumerable foods on them & we
> don't have the $$ or facilities to pull them off. 2) our ability to purchase
> some of the obscure wildfowl/fish called for is limited.  3)if we did what
> was actually done & served only a couple larks a couple plovers a couple
> pigeons etc so that there was a reasonable amount of food for the say 100
> people attending but in lots of differrent dishes & you only ate what was
> near you, people would whine that they didn't get to try everything...
Also:
4) Often there different menus for High Table, which our Egalitarian nature tends to
object to.

5) we often do not have the facility to cook what is called for.
Many banquets seen in Period illumination had under 50 feasters, some under 20.
Therefore it was possible to server 7 varieties of Fowl, 5 varieties of meat, all
roasted, number of made dishes, and a bunch of baked goods.
To attempt that on a scale of hundreds of feasters would require herculean efforts
by a huge number of cooks in an absolutely humongous kitchen.
(They used servants in castles, we use volunteers in rented church basements)

I'll post an example I have from Heiatt's "Ordinance of Pottage" (that is the book
I have on hand here at work )
( I am adapting the language for readability )
For the Knight's table, The First Course: boiled Venison with Frumente,
Vyand bruce, Boars' heads, Roast Swan, Pike in Sauce, Custard lumbard,
and a soteltie. The Second course: A potage caled gely, an Potage blanc
de sore, Roast pig, Roast Kid, Chicken endored, Breme in sauce, tarts,
brawn bruse, Roast Rabbit, and a soteltie. The third Course: Bruet of almayne,
Stewed Lumbard, Roast venison, Roast peacock, Roast partridge, pidgeons,
young Rabbits, Roast Larks, Puff pastry, Boiled partridge, A Dish of jelly,
long Fritters.

For the King's table, The First Course: boiled Venison with Frumente,
Vyand bruce, Great Chunks of meat, Boars' heads, Roast Swan, Fatted
Capons, Roast Swan, Roast Pheasant, Great tarts, and a soteltie. The
Second course: Blanc de sore, Roast pig, Roast Kid, Crane, Pheasant,
herons, Roast Chicken, Braised Breme, tarts, brawn bruse,
Roast Rabbit, and a soteltie. The third Course: Bruet of almayne,
Stewed Lumbard, Roast venison, Egret, Chickens, partridge, pidgeons,
young Rabbits, Roast Quail and larks, Puff pastry, Boiled perch, A Dish of jelly,
long Fritters, and a soteltie.

Roast dishes  = 11, 16 if preparing Kings and knights tables separately
Boiled and probably boiled dishes =  14, 22 if preparing Kings and knights
tables separately
made dishes = 8, 14 if preparing Kings and knights tables separately
fried/Baked items = 4, 7 if preparing Kings and knights tables separately
Sotelties = 3, 5 if preparing Kings and knights tables separately