SC - blood pudding, sausages

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 12:47:36 PDT 2000

- --- Morgan Cain <morgancain at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > 2: clarimente is defined in various dictionaries as "a
> > certain water that women use as make-up" but I find no
> > translation for it.
>
> Ximena, might it be something like witch hazel?
>

>   ---= Morgan

If we're relying on my knowledge, it could be anything.
Well, we can probably rule out a few things -- sulfuric
acid and tincture of poison ivy, for instance.  Witch hazel
sounds good.  From the sound of the word I would expect it
to be some kind of skin clarifier or maybe blemish-covering
stuff.  There are some "water for the face" and "water for
washing the face" recipes in the collection that might be
what is meant, but they're not called clarimente so maybe
not.  The word seems to be still in use, I just don't know
enough about make-up to identify even the modern
counterpart.

By the way, Marianne over on the Medieval Spain list
suggested rosemary for the "alacrin" in #70.

Dana/Ximena