SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jun 13 21:07:55 PDT 2000

At 10:18 PM -0500 6/13/00, RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

>The Cleopatra story to my understanding was that
>she shattered the pearl and dissolved it in vinegar
>which I believe was drunk as a Roman custom
>particularly in the Legions.

I think the point of the story is that she was demonstrating her
extravagance, the peal being an extremely valuable one.

>ABSOLUTLY FORGET any thought of culinary uses
>of most of these materials.  Powdered diamond and
>corundum (Ruby or sapphire) were considered potent
>poisons in period times.

You don't powder them. You put the gemstones in the chicken soup as
you are making it, then take them out again. Apparently the virtues
of the stones are thus transmitted to the soup, and so to the patient.

That, at least, is what Maistre Chiquart seems to be describing in
_Fait de Cuisine_. He says to consult a physician as to what
gemstones are most suitable.

Incidentally, what are the sources for powdered diamond and corundum
being considered potent poisons? I'd never heard that.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/