SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jun 13 20:53:51 PDT 2000

At 12:30 AM -0400 6/14/00, CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

>I believe the "3 ounces of thrush in porre" was meant simply to illustrate
>the point that, while the number of dishes served at a banquet were, to our
>modern sensibilities, staggering, there is very little direct documentation
>to illuminate how "much" of each dish was served.

_Du Fait de Cuisine_ includes a shopping list, with quantities (see
below), from which you can calculate roughly how much food was being
produced; since it also provides a menu, you can get a rough idea of
how much was in each dish.  My calculation was a total of about
70,000 lbs (i.e. 35 tons) of boneless meat. That was for two meals a
day for two days, and he doesn't say how many guests are expected.

- ---
And first: one hundred well-fattened cattle, one hundred and thirty
sheep, also well fattened, one hundred and twenty pigs; and for each
day during the feast, one hundred little piglets, both for roasting
and for other needs, and sixty salted large well fattened pigs for
larding and making soups.

And for this the butcher will be wise and well-advised if he is well
supplied so that if it happens that the feast lasts longer than
expected, one has promptly what is necessary; and also, if there are
extras, do not butcher them so that nothing is wasted.

And there should be for each day of the feast two hundred kids and
also lambs, one hundred calves, and two thousand head of poultry.

And you should have your poulterers, subtle, diligent, and wise, who
have forty horses for going to various places to get venison, hares,
conies, partridges, pheasants, small birds (those which they can get
without number), river birds (those which one can obtain), pigeons,
cranes, herons, and all wild birds - what one can find of whatever
wild birds. And they should turn their attention to this two months
or six weeks before the feast, and they should all have come or sent
what they could obtain by three or four days before the said feast so
that the said meat can be hung and each dealt with as it ought to be.

And they should provide for each day of the said feast six thousand eggs.
- ---
Note the small birds "without number." Note also that they are
spending almost two months catching them; I don't know how they were
preserved.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/