SC - Re: Alienora's introduction

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 05:00:25 PDT 2000

Balthazar asked, in all innocence:

>So why not replace the "Breakfast", "Lunch" and "Feast" monickers at events
>with "First Remove", "Second Remove", etc...?

(I know this isn't what you were wanting for an answer, but it ran smack into
a "hot button"...)  Because "remove" doesn't mean "course".  "Remove" is a
term that is well-documented as being newly-used for a food item in the late
1600s or early 1700s (1690?-1710).  It never meant "course" then, either.  It
was a term used for a dish of food, placed on the table with many others, and
when served from was then _removed_ and replaced with another dish for the
same course.  IIRC, there was only one remove in a course.  You will see
the remove labeled on some table diagrams.  So, folks!  Let us remove the
term "remove".  Of course the term is "course"!  ;-)

Alys Katharine, being moved once, or re-moved more than once, to comment
on this