SC - dream camp kitchens

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jun 14 06:39:26 PDT 2000

> >  The period references I have seen (I'm thinking of Chiquart and
> >  Rumpolt) imply two substantial means a day, not three. "Fruhmahle"
> >  and "Nachtmahle" in Rumpolt, as I recall.

Most of the secondary sources say the same, that most people did not eat
upon arising (supposedly the church and moralists condemned the practice
of morning snacking) but ate a meal in the late morning and another in the
evening. You certainly were not supposed to eat before attending mass.
That doesn't mean that people didn't have a snack, but a lack of organized
breakfast meals seems to be indicated.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"