WAS: SC - questions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 19:52:35 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 12:31:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< serving "thousands" of birds
 at a banquet, unless there were "thousands" of attendees... >>

Considering that the lack of flocks consisting of thousands of birds is a
relatively modern phenomenon., I don't find it particularly strange that such
a number would be requires for a feast. Woodcocks, one of the larger small
birds, requires at least 6 birds per portion. Thrushes, starlings, wrens and
other small birds would require considerably larger numbers per portion.

Also I am aware of what the point was of mentioning the 3 oz. portions but my
point was that a 'feast' was served to literally hundreds of attendees. See
Chiquart for the large number of food items required for a feast. 10,000 eggs
comes to mind as a requirement so thousands of birds does not seem
unreasonable as a typical 'catch' for a typical royal progress feast.

Ras

Ras