SC - ETHICAL DILEMMA

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Jun 14 21:03:00 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 8:16:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< but I don't think using intimidation
 tactics will produce the desired results as well as explaining to the
 lady her options, >>

OTOH, not ignoring the IMO's and the 'personally's' might lead one to not see
'intimidating posts. Voice inflection and body language is sadly lacking in
this forum.

I have always encouraged, sometimes strongly, the use of period foods at
events and have never been seen to take any other position with anyone from
initial contact. My student, lady Phillippa Setan can attest to that as can
Lord Cadoc, Elysant and many others. And I think they will also attest to the
fact that such an approach has not discouraged them in anyway from persuing
period cookery but has, in fact, spurred them on to further research and
experimentation.

There are many levels and methods of teaching. Some folks are successful with
compromise and retraining. I feel these are wasted effort. That does not mean
that others do not find those techniques successful. Oftentimes I feel that
the emphasis is too much placed on the 'fun' part of the SCA and not enough
placed on the educational and recreation aspects. Both positions together
lead to balance.

Ras