SC - spices organisation

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 14 22:47:06 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 8:52:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

> Or in other words, I think your example demonstrates that you, like a
>  lot of other people in the Society, have much lower standards of
>  authenticity for cooking than for some other things. That is
>  certainly a choice you are entitled to make--but other people are
>  entitled to point out that you are making it, and try to persuade
>  you.to change your standards.

Truth be told, my standards of authenticity have improved 1000 fold since I
joined this list, but were never really what I would consider "lax" to begin
with.  While, in the past, I did not have access to the wealth of authentic
recipes I have now, all of the dishes I have made for event feasts and meals
(with the exception of a chocolate espresso cake) were my very best attempt
to create something which _may_ have been done in period.  I do not use
potatoes, corn or tomatoes, and I tried to combine flavors and textures in a
manner I assumed would be period.  Now that I have more information and
experience, I see that some of those assumptions were wrong, and some were
spot on.  Please bear in mind that, as a critical thinker, the opinions I put
forth on this list are not always my own.  Many are, but not all.  What may
be "lax" is my unwillingness to reprimand or denigrate someone because their
standards fall short of my own.  I have always been a firm believer that
personal freedoms, above all else, must be maintained and respected.
Particularly in the SCA.  This is a hobby, after all, and should be treated
as such.  If a life or lives hung in the balance, then I could see a
rationale for taking the moral high-ground.  However, it's just a hobby for
me.

As to the analogy I used in my example: you are correct.  I should have
compared apples to apples

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?