SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Jun 15 09:10:57 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 1:11:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

> You seem to be using "all right" as "this is something you can do
>  without deserving punishment" Why?

Punishment?  Your Grace, surely you do not believe that anyone in this
"hobby" should be punished for doing something in their own fashion.... This
is not recess on the schoolyard!  If I were to pay (and pay I do) to belong
to this Society, I would probably become physically angered and quite
bellicose if anyone attempted to "punish" me for doing something which does
not meet _their_ standards...

>  Suppose someone asked you whether to read a book. You happen to think
>  the book is dreadful. Do you say "It's all right to read that book?"
>  Wouldn't it be more useful to say "I don't think you should read that
>  book--it is dreadfully written and boring."

Of course I would tell them it's allright to read that book.  "I" may not
read the book again, but I cannot, in good conscience, suggest that someone
else not read it.  Their ideas of "good and bad" may differ from mine.  They
may be looking for a different benefit from  the book than I was.  Case in
point:  I am an avid atheist, and detest the Bible and all it stands for, but
would never think of telling my son that he should not read it.  It is his
choice.  If he asks me my opinion on it, I will certainly tell him, and then
suggest that he make his own decision (which can only be reached _after_ he
has read it for himself).

>  But every time someone says the equivalent for period cooking--"you
>  ought not to serve out of period food because it makes events feel
>  less period," or "you ought to cook from period recipes because it is
>  fun, interesting, and educational," you treat the statement as if it
>  were a command rather than advice.

If someone on this list were to approach the subject in that way, I would
have no quarrel with it.  However, if you take a look at the previous posts,
you will quickly learn that the author in question was neither that
diplomatic nor relaxed, by his own admission.  I do not have a problem with
someone "suggesting" that further research be done, or "suggesting" that a
more period attempt be made.  I do have a problem with someone "insisting"
that it be done.  Until someone pays my membership dues, drives my tuchus and
gear to War, pays for me at gate, and feeds me, clothes me, and provides me
with libations and entertainments, _no one_ has the right to "insist" that I
do anything in any manner other than my own.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?