SC - questions

Elysant@aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Thu Jun 15 21:08:17 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

Ras writes:

>I have always encouraged, sometimes strongly, the use of period foods at
>events and have never been seen to take any other position with anyone from
>initial contact. My student, lady Phillippa Setan can attest to that as can
>Lord Cadoc, Elysant and many others. And I think they will also attest to
the
>fact that such an approach has not discouraged them in anyway from persuing
>period cookery but has, in fact, spurred them on to further research and
>experimentation.

This is true.  I have worked with Ras in several feasts now.  One learns not
only how to function in a kitchen cooking for a large number of people under
his tutelage, but one also learns to approach the feast with the mindset of
the fact - from the beginning - that cooking a SCAdian event feast is cooking
period foods and dishes.  And I have seen that the diners really appreciate
the efforts made to do this.

To me, striving to be as period as possible, and being taught to make that
the goal from the beginning is what it is all about. That is why we do what
we do here, and is the gift teachers of this subject can instill into those
who follow so that our piece of the dream can continue to be made even more a
reality.

I have helped in other cooks' kitchens where the cooks did not practice this
philosophy.  It was a severely disappointing situation.  My thought was if we
are going to just cook regular foods, then we are not only not doing justice
to what the SCA is about and why I pursue this interest, but also are
possibly duping the diners as many of them tend to think what is being served
is a reasonable attempt at period.

Elysant