SC - period ovens

Wajdi a14h at zebra.net
Fri Jun 16 10:06:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 9:41:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
LrdRas at aol.com writes:

> the SCA has increased from 2000 members when I joined 18 years ago to over
>  20000 now. I don;t think we need fear  that membership is slipping.
>
>  Ras

According to published membership guidelines which were quoted at an officers
meeting, and were reflected by SCA Minutes, it is considered that 8 out of
every 10 people who play, do not become members. That 3 out of every 8 who
are not members will never join and will leave the ranks of playing for some
reason or other within their first two years of involvement. Yes, I'm sure it
is not based on treatment to them by others alone, but I'm sure **some** of
them will fail to join and continue to play because of that reaction. I
myself did it. I can't believe that I'm a unique situation. We were told that
although membership grows, renewals have fallen off. Some of the kingdoms
overseas have members on a transitory basis; ie, military men, etc., and so
you expect them to lapse in renewals. Some people drop out for years on end.
Some lapse the membership but continue to play. At this same time we were
told, the officers who were present, that membership and continuing to
encourage membership and new players is one of the priorities for the BOD. If
the BOD is making it a priority, then it follows that if they are not
concerned about membership slipping, then they are concerned that it is not
what it **could** be and they desire to improve that situation. Membership
supports the organization financially, after all. I just believe that if the
BOD are concerned about it, then we should be as well on a local level.

Lars