SC - Subject: Trenchers Request

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 19:52:34 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 16 Jun 00,, that Serian wrote:

> OOH!  honey & ginger!  Well, that will be on my experiment
> list.

One of the recipes in the 14th century confectionary manual is
Pinyonada de Mel -- a kind of nougat made by coating pine nuts with
honey that has been heated to the hard-crack stage, and flavored with
chopped fresh ginger, and a little powdered cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg,
and mace.

One of these days, I'll get back to trying this one.  I got tired of
scorching the honey, and besides, I'm trying to take off the weight I
gained over the winter.

If anyone else would like to give it a try, it's a pound of pine nuts to a
pound of honey.  No quantities given for the spices.  The instructions go
into a lot of detail about how to blanch the nuts and clarify the honey
(which is unnecessary if you're starting with store-bought).  Heat the
honey until a bit dropped into cold water breaks like glass.  Remove
from heat, and stir in the spices and the nuts.  Cast it into boxes.
(Although the recipe does not say so, it can also be shaped into little
clusters, once it is cool enough to handle, but warm enough to still be
soft.  There are other candied nut recipes in the same cookbook,
including a pinyonada made with sugar-syrup, which are to be sliced
and shaped into rounds as one pleases.)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann