SC - kitchen in a krak

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sat Jun 17 00:42:31 PDT 2000

At 11:33 PM -0400 6/16/00, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

[In his most audacious bluff since the cuskynole heresy began]

>Actually, we're not. Upon looking at the cuskynole recipe in its French
>form in the 13th century Anglo-Norman  BL MS ADD 32085, of which BL Add.
>46919 (He), also known as Diuersa Cibaria, appears to be, in part, a
>translated copy, I see that the text in French seems a great deal more
>specific, and much clearer in Hieatt's English translation. Also that
>the illustration in 46919, presumably copied accurately for Curye On
>Inglysh, looks suspiciously like the illustration from a completely
>different recipe in the earlier source... .
>
>I'll leave you in fearful anticipation until I get a chance to provide
>more details. I know you can't wait.

The French text reads:

"e pus plier ensemble come cel signe est fet:" [followed by a 3x3 grid].

The English translation reads"

  "then fold together as this diagram illustrates."

The Diuersa Cibaria versions reads:

& soththen veld togedere othe zeolue manere, ase theos fuguree is
imad": [followed by a 3x5 grid]--"th" for thorn and "z" for the
squiggly letter whose name I have forgotten.)

The only relevant difference is that one author thinks the grid is
3x3 and one 3x5.

You are still left defending the position that, when redacting one of
the two recipes in the corpus (I admit I had missed the other) that
has a picture of how to make it, we should ignore the picture and
make ravioli instead. I eagerly await your redaction of
cressee--lasagna perhaps?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/