SC - questions

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Jun 17 08:14:10 PDT 2000

Cairistiona writes:

> Thinking of tablecloths, I notice that both the Berry picture (January) and
>  another picture I have (marriage feast at the court of King Yon of Gascony
>  is all I know) show damask tablecloths in pieces:  a separate piece of
>  damask pleated (maybe pinned to the table top?) about 2 ins every foot or
so
> all round the sides of the table, and coming to no more than about 2/3 of
>  the way down to the floor.  The top cloth is only as wide as the table
top,
>  and so doesn't cover the pleats at all.  On the Berry picture the top
cloth
>  extends over the ends of the table, but not the long sides.  I think I've
>  seen some other, less clear, examples of the same technique, but not
>  actually registered in my mind before.  Any thoughts on this?  Has anyone
>  tried laying a table this way?

Yes.  I've experiemnted with laying tablecloths as I've seen in many medieval
illustrations.  What I've come up with at this point is an undercloth, very
much longer than the table, gathered and pleated (with the help of staight
pins), and a smaller top cloth, just the size of the tabletop.  To get an
undercloth long enough, I've used two long cloths, joined together at a
gather and pleat.  An example of this type of tablecloth may be seen at:
http://www.50megs.com/matterer/medpix/gallery4/mpix91.htm

There are better examples, but this is one I could lay my browser on at short
notice. I have also seen examples of a gathered cloth, without a top cloth:
http://www.50megs.com/matterer/medpix/gallery2/mpix40.htm

As far as the January Berry Hours picture goes, it looks to me like a single
damask cloth, lightly pleated (draping naturally?), without a top cloth.
They seem to be using little gold plates, rather than roundels.  The big nef
seems to be holding more little gold plates.

Rudd Rayfield