SC - Pennsic feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Jun 17 08:42:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/17/00 8:57:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
grizly at mindspring.com writes:

>  "New wine" likely would be wine that had not yet fermented long, ergo
>  cloder to grape juice than to modern wine.  It would be sweet and very
>  lightly alcoholic with a touch of yeast bite to it.

I think the term "New Wine" implies just that;  wine which has only recently
been completed (i.e. fully fermented), but has not yet had time to age and
mellow.  Some wines are meant to be drunk "new", as their maturing qualities
are not good.  As a modern reference (though I would not suggest that it is
appropriate for the recipe), *white zinfandel* is a wine which is best
imbibed *new*, because it will not keep and mature nearly so well as some of
the finer reds and whites.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?