SC - Precooking

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Jun 18 13:57:50 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/17/00 8:19:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
grizly at mindspring.com writes:

<< This man was rude and insensitive.
 This man is a peer/dignitary.
 All peers/dignitaries are rude and insensitive.

 Not the preferred thought process, but it jumps right in when there is
 no better explanation around.  We gotta be careful what we say to new
 folks about "groups"/classifications of people, because they get
 attributed quite easily.  Keep a look out for this fallacy in the case
 you make, and challenge yourself to look beyond. >>

Interesting, and rational. Actually, I sat down with a peer I trust, the
Baron I told you of who made the off hand comment, at a demo yesterday. He
was unaware of the comment he made and deeply mortified, himself. I suspect
he cornered the young lady and apologized profusely shortly thereafter. And
as far as the comment about the trifle not being period ingredients; the
person responsible for that seemed upset too. Appears she was making a
comment about using real cream and letting it sit in 105 degree weather for
two to three hours before a feast. The outcome had been that the trifle had
gone "curdled" and the young lady overheard her, who had gotten the last
snippet of the conversation where she was saying an imitation cream might
have been better, but less period and not allowed in the exchange....

So, in the example I had given, it was also a case of the items being
somewhat misheard by the individual. So, attributed attitudes can be learned
by mistake on the face of it. Also, the Baron believes a lot of the mistaken
attributes we give individuals or cooking or any discipline is also
associated not so much with being a newbie, but sometimes also with the age
of the newbie. He has found that people playing for the first time at age 18
tend to believe everything the older player says as a form of ingrained
"respect for their elders" that they might be relying on at the time. An
older new player, say in late 30s or 40s, tends to be more skeptical and do
more of their own research on the matter before believing any one person.
This makes the most sense to me. Looking back, at 18 when I first played, I
would have had this thought process. Now, at age 42, I can spot a flake or
fake from a mile away and just don't bother with them. And I know enough to
do my own research to back up any claim they might make.

Lars