SC - Lochac based Spice company - review of

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 18 17:18:21 PDT 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> > But the only frozen/concentrated grape juice that I've seen is the
> > New World Concord grape stuff. And I think using this type would
> > have a significant taste impact.
> > Does anyone have any sources for Old World grape juice varieties that
> > is frozen or conentrated?
>
> Further question: I remember (no idea where I saw this) hearing that in
> the 1800's a virus attacked the vinyards of Europe and that many of the
> grape species perished.  What extant grape species are period?

There was a discussion a while back here on this. If I remember correctly,
this was solved by grafting the tops of American vines that had been
previously imported from Europe onto the European root stock. Although
maybe I have that reversed. The species or varieties were not wiped out.

Anyway, for more information on this, take a look at this file in the
BEVERAGES section of my files:
wine-msg         (100K)  1/ 4/00    Medieval wines.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net