SC - Re: Catalan cookbook

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 06:12:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/18/00 4:45:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Akim writes:

> he Apothecaries scale is
>  the same as the Troy scale, except that the Troy
>  has no scruples or drams.  12 ounces Troy or
>  Apothecaries = 13.165 ounces Avoirdupois or
>  conversely there are 14.58 Troy or Apothecaries
>  ounces in an Avoirdupois pound.

I was using a standard measure for an ounce, I had not realized the
difference in the ounce to ounce comparison. Disclaimer; I have a terrible
time with math, first failed grade 11 math then with a good teacher got an
A+, so please help me learn I am willing to listen.
As such, lets look at what I did.

The recipe specifically calls for .5 lb of sugar. As such this would be half
of 14.58 ounces?
Therefore 7.254 ounces? That would end up being 1.254 ounces more than what I
used since I only used 6 ounces. All of those sugar junkies that tried it and
liked it will be happy!

BTW, I brought the dishes (one with crepe topping the other with another
pastry) to the local fight practice yesterday. I had a very good response.

An overwhelming majority liked the crepe over the pastry top; the main reason
was that is was toothier and had a heavier taste to the mouth, more aromatic
and spicier. I believe this was due to the fact that the upper crust absorbed
the rose water more and tempered it with it's starches. I personally
preferred the crust and those who also did, had more "comfort food" in mind
in their comments. A few people thought the upper crust would please a
broader audience, one person distinctly did not like the rose water
(perfumy), one person did not try it due to the isinglass present (he is a
vegetarian), so make sure to tell people the content. No one commented on any
strange or disturbing flavours (isinglass had no effect at all).

Hauviette