SC - manual de mujeres #62,73-76 and a question about pans

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 14:37:32 PDT 2000

> And there are extant period cookbooks from Poland.
> One has recently been translated into English.

There _are_? What date? What's the title? Has that translation been
published? Maria Dembinska (whose Polish thesis work was recently
translated, edited, and published with a collection of re-created recipes
by William Woys Weaver, as _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_) said there
were no extant medieval cookbooks, but I believe she took as her cut-off
point, 1450 or 1500, so there might be cookbooks from later than that.

I looked at Lang (briefly, at someone's house) and he does claim to have
recipes or at least dishes from Hungary in period. But I'm highly
suspicious of his claims as he mixes them with cites to a near-1700
printed source. However, if there are Hungarian recipes, that's both
useful and confusing, since Hungary and Poland played musical nobility
through the last part of period.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"