ratio of cooks to feasters WAS: SC - questions

CBlackwill@aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 16:43:01 PDT 2000

- --- CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> raghead at liripipe.com writes:
>
> > The other interesting part of those RII numbers is
> that there are only 300
> >  servitors to those 10000 feasters. that's just 1
> server for every 33
> >  feasters.  That seems decidedly low to me, even
> for slap the pot of stew on
> >  the table type serving.
>
> Actually, you would be surprised to see how many
> tables a well trained and
> efficient server can handle, particularly at a
> banquet (as opposed to an ala
> carte event).  My servers at the hotel would
> regularly run 35 to 40 people on
> their own, including bussing and beverage service
> (non-alcoholic only...we
> had cocktail waitresses for the booze.  Different
> budget, different labor
> pool...)   A well organized and attentive staff is a
> blessing in this
> business, as I'm sure it was in the Middle Ages...
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

Yes, but your modern servers don't have to serve a
true medieval banquet which could mean 20 to 25
different dishes to serve.  Plus modern servers have
all sorts of carts to carry multiple plates with
special covers to keep the meal hot.  The modern
server would at best serve only seven or eight dishes
at a full modern banquet.  They would be run ragged if
they had to serve a full medieval feast and probably
quit on you or call their union representative and
complain about the overwork.

Huette