SC - hildegard's cookies

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Jun 20 05:52:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/00 3:38:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Wasn't potash used as a leavening during the Middle Ages?

Not that I am aware of. Hartshorn is mentioned later (early modern). Ale barm
is the most common leavening agent in medieval cookery (pre-1450 CE).
However, this recipe in the original form does not mention any leavening. In
fact, it would make a good cracker, IMO. (well, perhaps a little bland as His
grace has pointed out).

I was humored by the inclusion of baking powder, yes. But mostly I was
humored by the recurring theme of modernizing a period recipes where there is
really no need to do so. I always find it amusing when a perfectly good
period recipe is 'modernized' and then called period when all it really is is
another modern recipe using a period source as an inspiration.