SC - Feast this weekend

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 12:12:09 PDT 2000

I have two double-decker lazy susans - made by RubberMaid that i got
in the 1970's - in the ventilated cabinet built into the wall in my
early-teens house, you know, the kind with screening and fixed
louvers open to the outside that were used to keep things cool when
there were no refrigerators and ice boxes had small storage capacity.

On one i have my spices, alphabetized. The smaller containers (around
2 dozen) are on the lower level, the large jars and odd shaped
packages on the upper. I have few spice blends (Chinese 5 Spice
powder and Japanese shichimi togarashi are two of the few), so i
don't have to make room for these sorts of things.

On the second i have herbs, also alphabetized, and flavoring
extracts, flower waters, and flavoring oils such as pandan, kewra,
jasmine, etc.

There's some overflow of containers onto the shelf around the two.

Flavored oils and oils used for seasoning, such as chili oil and
roasted sesame oil and pistachio oil, i keep elsewhere.

Since there's a lot of overlap between seasonings for Mexican,
Moroccan, Levantine, Indian, and Southeast Asian foods, i don't have
them organized by cuisine type.

I generally buy my spices and herbs "in bulk" and transfer them to
screw top jars at home.

Anahita al-shazhiyya bint-abd' al-Karim al-hakim al-Fassi