SC - Feast this weekend

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Jun 20 13:27:54 PDT 2000

> >  holding SCA to a different standard than
> >  other groups in their life.
>
>As well they should, wouldn't you folks agree?  Consider:  The SCA prides
>itself on being the last great bastion of courtesy and civility left in the
>world.  When new members attend an event, at least the vast majority that I
>know of, they are usually there upon a referral from another member.
>Doubtless, this member has lured them into the fold with talk of chivalry
>and
>romance and courteous behavior.

I think we are better than average, but the kind thing to do when luring
people in is to remind them that we strive to do better, but there are
certainly all types in the SCA as elsewhere.  Also, a lot of rudeness is
misinterpretation on the part of one or both people, so if  try to stick
close by your friend the newcomer to guide, interpret and introduce.

>b)an indication that, out of every dozen or so people you meet,
>two will be rude.

I would say this has been my experience, across the board.  After getting to
know the individuals better, almost always one of them is universally
grumpy/irritable/boorish and I shouldn't take it personally.  As for the
other, they must have been having an off day, or I hit a sore spot with
them, or I mis-understood them because I know they would be mortified to
know I thought they had been so rude, it's just not like them at all.

>But, meeting two of them right off the bat is unfortunate, and not a good
>indication of things to come.

Depends on where you were.  Canton or other meeting with smallish number of
people attending, then having 2 be rude would be bad. Event with more
people, all busy with their own plans for the day and no clue if an
unfamiliar face is really new or just unfamiliar, having two people behave
in less than stellar fashion, not a big deal.

bonne