SC - kitchen in a krak

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Wed Jun 21 07:15:27 PDT 2000

ÚlfR wrote:

>Nice to hear. Bad ones or just minor quakes? The papers should have
>mentioned bad ones, but one never knows. I allways wondered how it feels
>to be in a car -- preferably one with long suspension travel -- in a
quake.

Pretty bad, we are quite used to minor ones here. No casualties that I know
of, though, but structural damages to many houses and roads in the South -
nothing bad here in Reykjavík. - Last night, I was writing a message to
Elysant, telling her about the quake on Saturday, and finished with saying
that scientists had predicted another large quake soon - problem was, no one
knew if "soon" meant in two hours or two years. Exactly two minutes after I
sent the message, the second large earthquake hit. There is a story and map
here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_799000/799724.stm

I don´t think I´ve ever been in a car during an earthquake but the only
people I know of that didn´t feel the quake on Saturday were either in a car
or in a swimming pool.

Another thing about the Saturday quake, which occured in the middle of the
Independence day festivities. The Viking boat Íslendingur was sailing off to
America (to conmemorate the voyage of Leifr Eiríksson) and as it was about
to leave, the Allsherjargoði (high priest of the Icelandic pagans) came to
the captain asking him to take with him a package to be delivered to fellow
Asatruar pagans in North America (don´t know exactly for whom the package
was meant, or what was in it). The captain refused to add any last-minute
package. Just as the Allsherjargoði turned away, the earth shook ...

True? I´ve no idea. But immediately destined to enter Icelandic legends.

Nanna