SC - OT- How do you cook a pig? > LONG

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 07:40:52 PDT 2000

Stefan wrote:
> My comment was simply to mention that to get coals, at some point, you
> have to have flames. That assuming you only had coals is not a complete
> solution.
You need flames, but...
Not necessarily in the same place.

A very common occupation throughout period and right up to the
beginning of the 20th century is Charcoaler.

This is a person who buys or gathers wood, and starts a very controlled
burn of it, usually while it is also buried to convert it to charcoal. the
charcoal is then sold as heating/cooking/industrial (the preferred fuel for
silver/goldsmithing was charcoal) fuel. It was clean burning and unlike
mined coal, imparted no sulphurous (connected with evil) odor to the
house.

The wood was often stacked in a very particular order, to allow just the
right amount of air to flow through as it burned, and then the stack was
lit in the center, and covered with earth a foot or more deep, with the
exception of a smoke smoke vent in the top.
In two or three days the fire burns itself out, and the Charcoal is
unearthed and brought to the manor, taken to market, and sold.

IIRC, one of the Brother Cadfael stories has a body that was found in
a Charcoal burning pile, when one of the brothers went to get charcoal
from a local charcoaler.

The use of charcoal for fuel would have eliminated all sparking,
popping and uncontrolled burning, and allowed a shorter chimney
stack, just as was posited earlier.

brandu