SC - seasoning iron cooking ware

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jun 22 19:53:35 PDT 2000

At 09:01 AM 6/22/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Salut!
>Akim, I beg to differ with you on your translation.  You make us Jews
>sound a heck of a lot meaner than we really are.  Goyim does NOT translate
>to Cattle.  It is taken straight from Hebrew where it means Nations.  The
>reason that it is used in a derogatory manner is that the Jews have
>historically never been allowed to be part of the nation in which they
>lived, often kept apart.  Therefore it was through envious longing that
>goyim became the negative term that it is today.  You have no idea how
>hard it was to get that idea across to the 7th graders I teach at
>religious school. ("What's wrong with being part of a nation?  I don't get
>it..."
>
>In service.
>Cu drag,
>Bogdan

I think the meaning has been more confused by so many actors and comedians,
Woody Allen, Billy Crystal, etc, who have used the word Goyim in the same
tone of voice and in same type of jokes as one might use "Pollock" or "Wop"
or any other such terms.

ska: Lord Caleb Reynolds
mka: Caleb Ronsen
aka: Bubba th' Barbarian
The Scum of AEthelmearc
Known to millions as "Who's that?"
http://www.buffnet.net/~caleb/caleb.htm

"If the name 'St. Nicholas' for Santa Claus, and the name 'Old Nick' for
the Devil, both derive from the Teutonic sea god Hold Nickar, what does
that tell us about Santa Claus?" asked Tom cynically.