SC - Honeycomb (confectionary) - question to the list

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 22:21:58 PDT 2000

Brandu replied to my question:
> > What evidence do we have that the Sahara was still a grassland in Classical
> > times? Or by "Antiquity" do you mean further back than say 100 AD?

> this goes back to something I remember from school (we were
> discussing climatology...)
>
> Lybia and the North of Africa were called " the Breadbasket of Rome",
> where where the gigantic "Grain ships" of the Romans loaded up.
> I remember reading that at its peak North Africa supplied some 80%
> of the Empires total cereal grain supply.
>
> What apparently happened is that the Roman farming practices were
> not efficient, and they never heard of crop rotation or letting a field go
> fallow to replenish the soil. as the soil grew more impoverished, and
> yeilds decreased, the Romans simply expanded the fields to makeup
> the difference.
> They effectively Agriculturally "stripmined" much of Noth Africa.
> a very similar cause and effect to the Dust Bowl catastrophe of
> Midwestern America 70 - 80 years ago.

Okay, but I understood your earlier message to say all of the Sahara
was grassland in Antiquity. North Africa, at least as far south as
the Romans would have gotten still leaves a lot of the Sahara untouched.

If all of the Sahara had been grasslands, and that good a breadbasket
I imagine the Romans would have gone much further south if they hadn't
been stopped by something such as the desert. While I haven't studied
it, I get the impression they didn't penetrate Africa that far. Certainly
not as far as they did to the north.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net