SC - Re: SC- I HAVE A THEORY

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Thu Jun 22 22:38:11 PDT 2000

Gil Marks' The World of Jewish Cooking and Claudia Roden's The Book of
Jewish Food discuss traditional foods.  Also the book The Jewish Kitchen
does the same.  The problem is that these books don't tell you really how
far back a recipe was found.  They do, however, site sources such as the
Torah to show how old the tradition is.  For instance, Cholent is a stew of
meat, beans, root veggie's and spices.  It is traditionally served on the
Sabbath.  It is supposedly discussed in the Talmud though as far as I can
tell, no actual recipe was given.

This is an area of research that I am working on.

Sindara