SC - The truth about Green Beans Savory

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 23 13:55:17 PDT 2000

>Hi,
>
>The ever questioning Gunthar again. I'm assisting a lady in finding
>documentation on liqueurs, especially my rose petal liqueur. Now a
>couple of things I do know is that they were considered more medicine
>than drink and that they should properly be made with brandy. But
>does anyone have a source for such items?
>
>I'm not sure they are even period other than as doctor's prescriptions.
>
>Any thoughts? Would treatises on ladies distillation techniques have
>anything? Markham? Digby? or medical treatises?
>
>There, that should get us off the topic of weather in Montana.
>
>Yers,
>
>Gunthar

Plat's Delights for Ladies has a large section on distilled items.

This is From Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery, ed. by Karen Hess:

# 290  TO MAKE CINNAMON WATER - c. 1550 to 1625
Put 3 quarts of red rose water & one quart of white wine into a limbeck of
glass.  yn bruise 2 pound of cinnamon & put therein, & let it stand 12
hours in luke warme water close stopt.  then still it in water on a gentle
fire, but it may not be taken out of ye glass reserve, the first comeing
of, for it will be much ye better.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com