SC - cooking class disappointment

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 16:14:14 PDT 2000

> This is From Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery, ed. by Karen Hess:
>
> # 290  TO MAKE CINNAMON WATER - c. 1550 to 1625
> Put 3 quarts of red rose water & one quart of white wine into a limbeck of
> glass.  yn bruise 2 pound of cinnamon & put therein, & let it stand 12
>

> HTH,
>
> Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu

After re-reading this post I noticed something. Now this has no sweetner
as we consider cordials and liqueurs to be. So I would think of using
a very sweet dessert wine. But then I notice that the proportions of
rosewater to wine as 3 to 1.  If this is using the distilled rosewater we
all know and love I would think this would taste pretty nasty. Would
"red rose water" be more like a rose "tea" infusion? Does the book
give instructions on the preparation of red rose water?

Thank you,

Gunthar