SC - Kuskenole - was, Authenticity, philosophy, and advocacy

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 23 18:59:51 PDT 2000

I don't think the term liqueur is period - at least not with the modern
meaning (sweet flavored distilled alcohol).  It seems to have meant any
liquid - water, juice, wine, liquor etc.  Cordials were medicines that
were good for the heart.

But the product is certainly period.  Distilled waters were described
in 9th c Arabic medical texts.  They were known in Europe by the 12th
c, but were strictly medical until the technique of distillation was
published - in 1500 I think.  I haven't seen those early medical
treatises (secondary source disclaimer) but they also contained recipes
for ypocras, claret & other spiced beverages - all medicines, of
course.

Many of these waters contained multiple herbs and spices and strong
flavors like musk or anise or lots of sugar. (Like Benedictine (1509?)
with 27 herbs/spices). These are the kind of recipes you'd find in
Plat, Markham or Martha Washington's Book of Cookery.  There are also
some simple waters such as cinnamon water in all three sources.

Martha Washington is the only source I've found with a recipe for
"Cinnamon Water without Distilling" that soaks the cinnamon in brandy
and adds sugar.  This source contains some post period recipes (and the
edition I have doesn't distinguish which are which) so I don't know if
this is a period method.  There are references in Markham to simple
waters purchased from the apothecary - in ever-popular flavors like
cinnamon and mint - but no recipes.  Those herbs were effective as
issue de table cordials to close and soothe the tummy - the origin of
after-dinner liqueurs (ob food content).

I don't remember a recipe for an alcoholic rosewater - but I'll look
thru my books this weekend.

Temair