SC - Re: liqueurs

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 24 07:21:17 PDT 2000

Hello the List!

Gunthar wrote:

>The ever questioning Gunthar again. I'm assisting a lady in finding
>documentation on liqueurs, especially my rose petal liqueur. Now a
>couple of things I do know is that they were considered more medicine
>than drink and that they should properly be made with brandy. But
>does anyone have a source for such items?

Abelard mentions herbed [um - alcohol - forget which kind] drinks in his
Letters of Direction for Heloise's nuns.  Sort of along the lines of 'Well,
it's okay to drink this - and neat wine - if you're sick but otherwise, the
ladies really should avoid it'.  I'll get the actual wording when I go home
later.

>I'm not sure they are even period other than as doctor's prescriptions.

My guess is he wouldn't need to say if they weren't being used by healthy
people.

>Any thoughts? Would treatises on ladies distillation techniques have
>anything? Markham? Digby? or medical treatises?

I will have a look for the documentation when I get home - funny, I was
going to ask about it a while back, and decided I had already had my name in
the List too often lately...

Cairistiona