SC - Liqueurs

Darice Moore magistra at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 24 09:23:06 PDT 2000

At 1:53 PM -0400 6/23/00, Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

>     Actually, the version I used came from Cariadoc's mouth, rather than
>from
>the book.  While in Axemoor visiting his then-fiancee, Elizabeth, we were
>
>discussing cooking during a private dinner.  He was the one who suggested
>
>green beans, due to the high cost of asparagus, and the fact that more
>people
>seem to like green beans than asparagus.

Could be--I may or may not have known at that point that green beens
were from the New World. But I guarantee that I didn't suggest
smooshing ingredients in ziplock bags.

In any case, savery toasted is from Digby, who was 17th century, and
I believe there is evidence for the use of green beans by the end of
the 16th century.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/