SC - medieval times?

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sat Jun 24 12:46:25 PDT 2000

Many years ago I made a lemon-flavored mead(Finnish) for a Leif Erickson
Tourney in CAID, Calafia.  I bottled it in beer bottles that had the
reusable lids with the rubber seal.  Most of the bottles did quite well, but
one.  When I just touched the seal it popped and squirted like a Champaign
hitting the ceiling of my pavilion.  What a shower.

The recipe
To make 5 quarts
2 large lemons
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 quarts boiling water
1/8 tsp. yeast
5 tsp. sugar
15 raisins

With a small, sharp knife or rotary peeler, carefully peel off the yellow
skins of the lemons and set them aside.  The cut away the white membranes of
the lemons and discard them.  Slice the lemons very thinly.   In a 6 to 8
quart enameled or stainless steel bowl combine the Lemon slices, lemon skins
and the two sugars.  Pour the boiling water over the fruit and sugar, stir
and let the mixture cool to tepid.  Then stir in the yeast.  Allow the sima
to ferment, uncovered , At room temperature for about 12 hours.  To bottle,
use 5 one quart bottles with very tight covers.  Place one tsp. of sugar and
3 raisins in the bottom of each bottle.  Stir the sima through a sieve and
using a funnel, pour the liquid into the bottles.  Close the bottles tightly
and let them stand at room temp. for 1 to 2 days or until the raisins have
risen to the surface.  Chill and serve.

Reading over the instructions I see I do not prepare it exactly as stated.
I bring the 5 quarts of water to a boil and then add the lemon, lemon peel
and sugars directly to the pan.  I cover lightly with cheese cloth and let
stand to cool, and bottle as directed.

This is a yummy refreshing drink.

The Cooking of Scandinavia a Time Life Series of books, published in 1968.
The intro says they tried to collect a series of "traditional Scandinavian
recipes".  I realize this could mean Victorian.
Jana