SC - Sweets to serve with hot drinks

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 26 08:04:07 PDT 2000

> > I can't give you period recipes but since my husband and I are both
> > hypoglycemic, I can tell you what to avoid.  The biggest
> downfall for
> > those with this condition are white starches, such as white
> rice, white
> > bread, corn, potatoes, etc.  Whole wheat bread and brown
> rice are much
> > more stabilizing for a hypoglycemic's blood sugar.
>
> How do barley, millet, and buckwheat kasha compare? are they white
> starches or brown?
>
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise

It's not the type of starch, but the quantity.  The body converts starch to
glucose then insulin converts the glucose to glycogen to be stored in the
cells.  Hypoglycemia is a condition caused by excessive insulin lowering the
blood sugar (glucose)levels in the body.  By ingesting to much starch, a
hypoglycemic triggers increased insulin production, exacerbating the
hypoglycemia.

I think you will find the reference to "white" starch means the food has a
high percentage of starch in it's composition.  Pure starch is a white
powder.  Potatoes and maize are naturally high in starch, while some
processed food, like white bread, have their starch and sugar content
boosted by the processing.

IIRC, millet, buckwheat groats and oats have a lower percentage of starch
and would be reasonable to use in a regulated diet.

Bear