SC - Liqueurs

Morgana Abbey morgana.abbey at juno.com
Mon Jun 26 16:19:06 PDT 2000

Cindy wrote:
>I'm just howling because this is happening in Germany, where
>people should know better than to serve corn on the cob & call it medieval
>cuisine.

You know, I have here a book which is the very worst example of this kind of
thing that I´ve ever come across. This is a German translation but the
original is in French, "La cuisine avec Astérix". It is a cookbook for
children that is supposed to tell them how they can eat like the Gauls, 50
BC. Yeah, right. There is hardly any recipe in the book that doesn´t include
tomatoes, bell peppers, avocadoes, chocolate, instant coffee, pineapple,
mayonnaise, margarine, even pink marshmallows and surimi ... in short, these
are ordinary and fairly unimaginative dishes, meant to appeal to children,
and virtually the only thing that connects them to the Asterix comics is one
illustration on each page, taken from the books and has in most cases
absolutely nothing to do with the recipe.

The whole thing looks as if someone took a modern children´s cookbook, added
a few illustrations from the Asterix books and gave each recipe a name like
"Cleopatras Exotic Cake" or "Caesar´s Imperial Cocktail" or "Druid Salad"
(that´s the one with the pink marshmallows - it also has canned pineapple,
bell peppers and mayonnaise, but no Jell-O, I´m sorry to say). Which is
probably what happened.

This would be hilarious if not for the fact that I gather the book has been
very popular - the German translation is the 5th printing - and there are at
least two others in the series, both probably just as inaccurate. So all the
children who have got these books are probably convinced that tomatoes,
chocolate and pink marshmallows were everyday fare in Gaul in 50 BC. And
will quite happily serve you a Talentixburger seasoned with worchestersauce
or Hot Dogs Idefix, followed by Wild Boar Chocolate Truffles, because that´s
what the book says the Gauls ate.

But who knows - after all, Asterix did travel to the New World ...

Nanna