SC - Payn Ragoun - 2 redactions

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Jun 27 16:40:26 PDT 2000

Well, I made the Payn Ragoun as I found the recipe on-line and the result
was ... interesting!

To begin with, I should have realised that I wasn't going to get the
"fudge-like" texture without beating the cooked mixture.  What I ended up
with is more of a very chewy (and sticky) toffee.  That can be easily solved
by beating the mixture (as the original says, in fact!) until it thickens
and loses its glossy appearance.

However, the real problem occurred when I tried to turn out the sweet.  It
wouldn't budge and then (with almost no force on my part) the container
began to disintegrate around the sweet!  I ended up having to remove the
microwave-proof dish in pieces!  Oh well, I guess it was going to happen
eventually anyway, and I don't think the confectionery was to blame.  I will
have another go later today - it tastes pretty good (if you avoid the
plastic crumbs I couldn't remove ...).

Gwynydd