SC - sauce makings-OOP (longish)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Mon Jun 26 17:52:46 PDT 2000

I could not find a recipe for rose water made with alcohol or
distilled from wine, ale, or anything but fair water.  I found I
misremembered the references to purchased waters - they were from
Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery (not Markham), and include:

"Spirit of Roses is for opening ye lungs and healing ye ulserations
of them, & is good for preventing ye infirmeties of them, & to keep
ye breasts from corrupting. to be taken in the morning, fasting, & at
4 in ye afternoon, & last at night, a good spoonfull at a time."

It sure sounds like a prescription.  Virtues are also listed for
spirits of cinnamon, clary, mint, saffron, rosemary flowers & beazor.
This recipe is given a few pages earlier:

To Make Cinnamon Water Without Distilling it

Take one quart of brandy, & halfe a dram of oyle of cinnamon, & a
pinte of water, & halfe a pound of white sugar.  boyle ye water &
sugar together, & mix ye oyle & sugar together, yt is with a little
of ye sugar before you put it to ye rest, then mix them alltogether,
& set it by till it be cold. & then bottle it up.

So if spirits of roses and cinnamon existed in period to be purchased,
and this is one way to make spirit of cinnamon, then one could make
spirit of roses the same way.  Logical?

Temair