SC - Imperial Dish

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Jun 26 20:32:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/26/00 9:57:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

<< So even though I would expect to find many changes in foodways between
1900 and
 1990, I would think that change would be slower from 1600 to 1680. >>

Possibly but there was a rapid change in cooking between 1450 CE and 1500 CE.
that is easily equal to those that occurred in this century. There is also a
big difference between 1880 CE and say 1800 CE. I personally would not bet
that using such a late manuscript would result in recipes that were accurate
for anything except 1680 CE. Of course, certain dishes did carry over. In
fact, some recipes now have medieval counterparts. Without actual earlier
manuscripts that contained the recipes to compare with, I would say that we
really have no way of knowing which ones were carry overs.

Ras
Countless numbers of people have eaten in my kitchen and gone on to lead
normal lives -Unknown.
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/