SC - hypoglycaemia

phlip@morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Tue Jun 27 06:41:01 PDT 2000

> I'd guess that beer may not have been distilled, as such.
> Distillation from grain doesn't necessarily imply it, docs
> wise. There were wine and ale based medicinals.
[snippage]
>     Aqua vitae is the usual word of note; much debate has
> happened over the proper core ingredient. Just my opinion,
> but, documentation gives brandy the edge, I'd say. If you're
> trying to impress A&S judges, you'll probably get a lot
> farther with aqua vitae-brandy:
[snippage]

Sorry, please take a look at Markham and at French's Art of Distillation.
If impressing A&S judges means that you have to go by the current A&S
myths, rather than looking at the sources which say ale (grain based,
sorry I guess beer is hopped, which we don't want), as well as wine, then
well, I guess they can just go hang....

Aqua vitae is distilled liquor. Period. Looking at distillation books of
the period, that's quite clear. They don't seem to be making a distinction
between brandy and ale based aqua vitae.

>     Whiskey/scotch is mentioned a number of times in
> historical sources, notably: "The earliest documented record
> of distilling in Scotland occurs as long ago as 1494, when
> an entry in the Exchequer Rolls listed "Eight bolls of malt
> to Friar John Cor wherewith to make aqua vitae" (water of
> life). This was sufficient to produce almost 1500 bottles.

Aqua vitae, however, would not have been processed the way modern
scotch/whiskey is. Usique (Irish whisky) was popularly supposed to have a
bunch of other stuff in it-- by english writers who told how to make it.
In other words, itself was treated as a cordial, not a base for cordials.

>     Vodka is quite inferable, but very lightly documented.
> Someone mentioned Russian Gov't records a while back. Period
> vodka would almost certainly have been grain based,
> certainly not potatoes, and possibly not from a grain overly
> similar to modern wheat.

*sigh* Actually, for the 16th century Vodka is documented. (_Bread and
Salt_ talks about government controlled vodka shops.) However, it appears
that it was originally made with parsnips, from other secondary sources
I've read.

However, parsnip-based vodka is very hard to find. What you find is
grain-based vodka (which may or may not be period _as vodka_.)
On the other hand, modern vodka is a multiple distillate of a grain-based
ferment, to which other flavorings have NOT been added. Which in my
opinion makes it similar to the higher grades of aqua vitae. Scotch &
Whisky, being flavored, I've shied away from using.

>     Gin is probably right out.

Gin's a cordial in and of itself, being flavored with juniper.

>     The fact that we are macerating in distillate to make
> liqueurs instead of a more common Medieval practice:
> distilling after macerating in wine or something else, is
> another problem entirely.

Yes, though French's gives a few examples of macerating in distillate. On
the other hand, none of the French's or Markham's recipes were sweetened.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
   "My hands are small I know, but they're not yours, they are my own"