SC - Liqueurs

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Jun 27 09:48:20 PDT 2000

Hello everyone,
I've been a busy little beaver and was hoping to share with you all my recent
recipe development. I am working with Platina, the Milham version and have
below the original and a potential redaction.

I just began the marinade that will sit till tomorrow, in anticipation I
present to you the following;
Hauviette

Venison with pepper sauce
Pepper sauce-
(P)Make pepper sauce with whatever wild meat you want this way; put in a
large bowl as much dry dark wine as water and wash the meat very well in it,
then strain the liquid and add as much salt as the situation demands. Put the
same liquid in a copper kettle on a fire. When the meat is cooked, take it
out and divide it in dishes. Toast bits of bread on a grill. When  they are
toasted, let soften in vinegar. When they have soaked up enough vinegar,
break them up well with a pound of raisins. The blood of the animal itself
may be suitably added to it, or it’s ground up liver, if this can be done.
Then mix this with it’s own juice and add a little condesed grape or
condensed must with the vinegar in which you had soaked the bread. Afterwards
pass all this together through a sieve. Put in a pot and sprinkle with
pepper, cloves, and cinnamon as you want; boil in evenly for half an hour
over the coals, stirring rather often with a beater or spoon. Finally, serve
the meat, fried in lard and divided into dishes with the seasoned pepper
sauce to your guests. It nourishes much and usefully, it nurtures the stomach
, and it fattens the body; however, it harms bilious people and makes stone,
more or less according to the composition of the ingredients themselves.

- --------As for this recipe, I haven’t worked it out completely but here’s my
first sketch of how it will go

Venison roast, fat removed cut into chunks
deep red wine*

Marinate roast in 1.5 cups wine,1.5 cups water overnight

Partially cook the venison in the marinade by simmering 10 minutes. Remove
and set aside meat. Then, combine marinade with the following ingredients
that have been blended in a food processor:
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup bread crumbs soaked in 1/2 cup red wine vinegar.
1 pound yellow Thompson raisins
1/2 cup boiled down must (boiled down 2/3 from original volume)

Strain the sauce and add pepper (1/2 tsp), cloves (1/4 tsp), and cinnamon
(1/2tsp)

Cook over med heat for 20-30 minutes.

Fry venison in bacon fat

Serve meat with sauce.

Wine used;
1996 Masi Campoforiorin Ripasso 13% alcohol
Verona grape varieties, particulary Corvina, using the techniques of
“appassimento” (semi drying of the grapes)  and refermentation (submerged cap
method- holding down the skins so that more air can get to the wine and the
yeast in the skins can better react with the wine). Rich, full bodied, round
and velvety,and has an aging potential of 10 to 15 years.

This wine is a step down from the wine I had hoped to use, namely an Amarone,
which is even fuller and more velvety, but at $25 bottle it was out of my
price range for cooking. I thought about it, but when I realized that I may
need two bottles, (I am cooking for 30 people as a gift), I made up my mind
to use the Campoforiorin Ripasso

The origin of this wine can be traced back to Roman passum (possibly an
etymological origin for Repasso?) through a description of the method used to
creat the wine by  Columella.
He  gives two elaborate recipes for the preparation of passum (found in
Flower and Rosenbaum' Apicius)
_Mago gives the following directions how to make the best passum, and I have
made it myself like this. Gather early grapes when they are fully ripe,
removing muldy or damaged berries. Fix in the ground gorks or stakes 4 feet
apart to support reeds and join them together with poles. Then place the
reeds on top and spread your grapes in the sun, covering them a night so they
do not get wet from the dew. Then, when the have dried, pick the berries off
the stalks and put them in a cask or wine-jar and poor the best possible must
over them so that the berries are completely covered. When sturated put them
on the sixth day in a wicker basket and presss them in the wine press and
extract the passum. Next tread the grape-skins, having added freshest must
which you have made from other grapes that were lseft to dry in the sun for
three days. Mix together and put the whole mash through the wine-press , and
this passum of the second pressing put immediately in vessels which you seal
so that it does not become too rough. Then, after 20 or 30 days, when it has
ceased fermenting, strain it into other vessels, seal their lids with gypsum
immediately, and cover with skins.
If you wish to make passum from the “bee” grapes gather the whole grapes,
clear away damged berries  , and throw them out. Then hang them up on poles.
See to it that the poles are always in the sun. As soon as the berries are
sufficiently shrivelled pick them off and put them without stalks in a vessel
and tread them well with your feet. When you have made none layer of them
sprinkle old wine on and tread another layer of grapes over it and sprinkle
this also with wine. Do the same with a third layer and after having added
wine, leave for five days. Then tread with your feet and press the grapes in
a wicker basket. Some people prepare old rain-water for this boiling it down
to a third of its volume , and then when they have made raisinns in the
manner described above, they take the boiled-down rain-water instead of wine,
doing everything else in a manner where there is plenty of wood, and in use
it is even sweeter than the passum described above."