SC - Liqueurs

Jenne Heise jenne at tulgey.browser.net
Tue Jun 27 11:44:22 PDT 2000

At 09:07 AM 6/27/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>Bear (I believe)posted earlier requesting info about Roman finger foods (I
>think), here is my collections of recipes that have been mostly direct
>redactions, some are adaptions based on other Roman recipes.

It was me!

>I do have a document in the works that has tips on working with Roman food
>(ie substitutions for garum)

Could you send me an MS file privately?  It sounds very interesting.

>SalaCattabia
>Flat Bread
>Green Beans and chickpeas   (An adapted hummous type dish)
>Stuffed Chicken with Sauce ala Apicius
>Ne Lactucae Laedant/A harmless salad
>Ova Elixa/ Hard Boiled Eggs
>Phaseoli Virides Frictae/ Fried Green Beans
>Porcus Farcimina Mellitum/Honey Pork Sausage (an adaption of an iscia style
>dish)
>Frumentum/Barley Frumenty
>Pernam et Ficus/Ham with Figs
>Isicia Amulato ab Aheno/Rissoles with a Thick Sauce in a Metal Casserole
>Alicam Vel Succum Tisanai
>/Cracked Wheat
>Dulcia Domestica/Homemade Sweets
>Savillum/Cheesecake

I would like to put together a few recipes that people could come by and
take away just as they may have in the baths.  I have some questions tho,
for example, there is a recipe for a basic meat patty and the redaction
calls for it to be served on foil.  Now, how would the vender have served
it?  Did everyone just bring a bowl and cup to eat and drink from to the
baths?
There is a NOVA site that has a menue posted from an archeological site of
a  Roman Bath that calls for cutlets.  Would they have been held in the hand?

I'm SO excited!
gwyneth