SC - liqueurs and jenever (longish)

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 13:09:07 PDT 2000

<< I've gotten two different answers to the question of what was the
differance
 between an ale and a beer.

 One is that beer uses top feeding yeasts while ale uses bottom feeding
yeasts.
 This may be a modern definition.

You have that reversed (sort of).  Actually, an ale is a top fermenting
beverage, brewed at or near room temperature, using saccaromyces cerivisae
(sp?) yeast, while a lager is a bottom fermenting beer, brewed at cooler
temperatures using saccharomyces uvarum (among others).  Beer is a generic
term for both.  Derived from the Germanic, if I am not mistaken...

Balthazar of Blackmoor