SC - Liqueurs

phlip@morganco.net phlip at morganco.net
Wed Jun 28 07:23:01 PDT 2000

> I'm kinda henky about using the high-proof 'grain alcohol' specifically
> because it does have _all_ tastes removed, and because of its high
> proof, which is achieved by multiple distillations under modern
> conditions. I'm not sure (despite French's statements to the contrary)
> that that tasteless condition could be achieved.

well the directions for most Aquavitaes do call for multiple distillations,
each a stronger product. but no, it was very unlikely that they could
get to the kind of strengths that PGA ( pure Grain Alcohol) can get to.

It was probably more like a "high octane" vodka, something between
100 and 140 proof, when it was finished.

Tastelessness seems not to generally have been the goal (or the
ingredients and spicing would not have been so important), but rather I
think French was describing what would be the effect of excessive
distillation runs, that the Purified essential alcohol in Wine distillation
was indistinguishable form that derived from Grain alcohol.

I understand that some French "Eau de Vie" also fit the Aquavitae
mold.

Hmm I see a fabulous confluence of terms here

Aqua Vitae  = Water of life
Aquavit = Water of life
Eau de Vie = Water of life
Uisge Beatha = Water of life
Vodka = water - Derived from "Little water" (endearment), Possibly
                "Water of life" origin, run through the mill of slang.

Brandu