SC - OT - Ticks at Lilies (fwd)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 17:22:58 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/28/00 5:18:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bogdan writes:

> Salut!
>  Hauviette mentioned that perhaps food was served on bread, like the
>  original falafel.  I don't know if I would really agree with that
>  statement (thuogh I know it was just an example).  In the Miscellany is
>  the recipe for the earliest "falafel" I have found to date.  It's on (or
>  around) page 32.  It is a Counterfeit of a lamb dish, which is also in the
>  Miscellany (and is REALLY terrific!!).  I have to admit that the lamb dish
>  is better than any falafel I have had to date, then again, as much as I
>  love falafel, I am a lamb fanatic. (now if anyone has a period Kibi
>  recipe, please let me know)  there is clearly no mention in either of the
>  recipes for using bread with it.  That is probably something that came
>  later.  There is also a walnut recipe that comes out a lot like Hummus,
>  although I have seen no mention of the two being eaten together in
>  period.

I agree about the fact that using bread to serve food in may not fit in any
way, it was a suggestion as to a possibility on how to serve food.

However, the original falafel may be related to the fried puls that can be
found in Apicius. Puls are grains cooked to a mush like consistency, I hold
the belief that these are precusurs to dishes like fried polenta (not
cornmeal of course) and falafel. I'll post later to that end.

Hauviette