SC - Re: Roman Recipes LONG

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 28 22:29:45 PDT 2000

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain commented:
> When you do your redactions of Middle Eastern recipes, I gather that
> you are working from an English translation, not the Arabic original.
> Apparently, the person who translated that cookbook chose to keep
> Arabic measurement terms like 'uqqiya' rather than using ounces or
> pounds.  I have seen a variety of historic cookbooks that are translated
> from another language follow the same practice: foreign measurement
> terms are retained, and are explained in brackets or a footnote;
> redactions use modern measurement terms.

I, even as an inexperienced cook, would prefer to see it done the way
you have done it, provided an easily accessible description of the
measure is given.

If you simply translate it to modern equivalents, I have no idea which
way it might be rounded. If I have been told that 1 angya is approximinately
2 4/5 oz. and the original recipe calls for 4 angyas and the modern
redaction calls for 11 oz. then I know I might want to add a little more.

While I seldom measure for a recipe exactly, it's nice to know which
way to err.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net