SC - Sweet Potato Pie

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 15:16:13 PDT 2000

Greetings.  I found one potato pie recipe in _A True Gentlewoman's
Delight_, printed in 1653, a bit OOP.  While I think I saw a recipe
closer or even in period, I can't find it right now.  Keep in mind
that these are probably sweet potatoes, not the white Virginia
potato.

"A Potato Pie for Supper"

"Take three pound of boyled and blanched Potatoes and 3 Nutmegs, and
half an ounce of Cinnamon beaten together, and three ounces of Sugar,
season your Potatoes, and put them in your Pie, then take the marrow
of three bones, rouled in yolks of Eggs, and sliced Lemon, and large
Mace, and half a pound of butter, six Dates quartered, put this into
your pie, and let it stand an hour in the oven; then make a sharp
caudle of butter, Sugar, Verjuyce, and white Wine, put it in when
you take your Pie out of the Oven."

Alys Katharine